Are you unhappy with your skin? Does it feel dry and dehydrated? Is your complexion dull and starting to show more wrinkles than you can bear? Winter months can take a toll on someone’s skin. Outdoor cold air and indoor dry heat can make your face appear dehydrated and increase the chances for adding extra wrinkles. Regular use of good products is very important, but do not underestimate the role your diet and lifestyle have in the appearance of your skin. Your look can say a lot about your health. Beauty truly comes from within!
NOW IS THE TIME TO PREPARE YOUR SKIN FOR SPRING
This is my prescription for a beautiful skin:
- At night never go to bed without removing all traces of makeup. Even if you do not use make up, you still need to clean your face and neck from dust and pollutants in the air. For this I recommend a cleanser that is strong enough to remove any trace of dirt. Use lukewarm water; hot water will dry your skin even more.
- After petting your face dry I recommend the use of a gentle serum with natural fruit acids. It will help the dry and dead skin cells, to sludge off gently. The accumulation of dead cells on the surface of the skin is responsible for a dull appearance. The serum should never make your skin peel or become irritated. If this happens you are using the wrong product. A very nourishing moisturizer is a must at night, even if your skin is oily.
- In the morning since you do not have to take off any make up; I like the use of a very gentle cleanser such as a chamomile one. Now you can use a day moisturizer to protect your face from the insults of the environment. This is a good rule of thumb in selecting your daily cream:
- For a truly dry skin you can use a moisturizer that is not necessarily thick, but has the ability to trap moisture into the skin. Such products usually have ingredients like glycerin. Stay away from creams containing Vaseline or petrolatum.
- Oily complexion will do well with a hydrating lotion instead of a cream. I like hydrating vitamin C serum.
- For problem skin such as pigmentation, rosacea or sun damage you need a consultation with a specialist, such as a medical doctor trained in aesthetic medicine or a dermatologist with a keen eye for beauty.
- At last you want to invest in a good quality foundation for a perfect final touch.
- What type of foundation should one use? Is powder better than liquid? Should one worry about sun block? Personal preference is important. If you have a perfect flawless skin (Who has that?) you can use whatever you like. But if you need to cover scars and imperfections the least amount of product you use, the better. Too much make up will actually make your scars more visible.
- Sun block? Any make up has a certain amount of sun block in it. Unless you have a tendency for pigmentation and are planning to be outdoors a lot, you do not need extra sun block.
- STAY TUNED FOR FUTURE TIPS ON HOW TO USE MAKE UP
- When choosing products for your skin read the ingredients. Stay away from creams with too many unreadable chemicals. When in doubt, please ask me, or send me an e-mail.
- Diet is paramount for a beautiful skin, and I am not talking about drinking water. Although the right amount of fluid is necessary, but unless you want to visit all the restrooms in town; you need the kind of fluid replacement that will stay in your body instead of going into the toilet.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. They will provide water, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that are very important to protect your skin from the damages of the environment.
- Fats are essential for a soft and elastic skin. Olive oil is good, but plenty of butter is even better. Do not forget the omega 3 found in fish and eggs.
- Good quality proteins will provide the building blocks for collagen and elastin.
- Finally do not forget to eat your beans. They contain a substance that protects your collagen from breaking down.
Please keep tuning in. Next time I will tell how female hormones will keep your wrinkles at bay. Please send me any comments or questions.
Do not forget to visit my web site at www.auroradejuliismd.com.
My choice of the months for a flawless skin is THE COMPLEX C MOISTURISER you can call my office to order or send an e-mail at the above web site. First time buyers will enjoy a 10% discount. Offer expires April 15, 2009
Love your face.
Dr. Aurora DeJuliis